Sunday, January 31, 2010

"I do no think that word means what you think it means"

When reading this chapter I kept thinking of "Princes Bride" and the line Inigo Montoya says, hence the tittle of this blog.
The first part of this chapter felt like Bressler was saying a whole bunch of things and yet he didn't even know what he was talking about. I will give an example. On page 107 when he is talking about Derrida changing the way one looks at binary operations he says "Such a reversal is possible because truth is ever elusive, for we can always de-center the center if any be found." If that's not someone just trying to sound smart I don't know what is. Frankly I was worried that this chapter was going to be a repeat of the confusion I felt in the last chapter especially since there were a few pages that were taken straight from chapter 5.
Thankfully, in the last few pages of this chapter Bressler actually goes into what it takes to do a Deconstructional analysis of a text. I realized that I tend to read with a deconstruction point of view. I like to find new ways of looking at texts and Deconstruction allows a reader to come up with new ways of looking at a text that has been read and re-read.
Deconstruction is fun because it puts so much emphasis on the reader. It can become like a game finding new meanings by putting importance on things that the writer hasn't stressed.

1 comment:

  1. I get what you’re saying about the whole confusion thing.. but to be honest, I think the structuralism was shaky ground, now we're getting to more sound and more stable grounds.
    I like that you also (i.e me too) noticed that "deconstruction puts so much emphasis on the reader." This was established with the reader-response theory and then lost (like many things) when structuralism was introduced. But now that that's gone, like a passing storm that attempted to disrupt us, everything is settling back to normal... :) well, we'll see about that anyway.

    ReplyDelete