Thursday, March 11, 2010

It's all a bit arbitrary if I do say so myself (Ch 1)

I was glad to see that this first chapter did explain things a lot better than the introduction, although I was a little disappointed how inconsistent the whole idea of semiotics is. Throughout the chapter it continually reminded the reader of how arbitrary the study of semiotics is, in fact the use of the word arbitrary drove me to distraction at times, they could have at least used some synonyms.
The idea that each sign must have both a signified and a signifier to be a sign makes sense. It's amazing to think that our minds create meaning in everything; we can learn a word and the concept that is behind that word. Only with this knowledge can we speak fluently in a language. The other thing that is amazing to me, is how the signified and signifier have nothing in common with each other except that someone somewhere decided to join those two things together. The tradition of words is the only thing that has created the meanings of our language, so each language has a different way of categorizing itself. That means people have to agree on the meanings and be willing to use them in the right manner. I have witnessed people using words either out of context or that they don't know the meaning. This can create confusion and teach others to use a word in an improper place, or with the wrong meaning. The question is, is it this very thing that creates dual meanings to words? Can someone who creates their own meaning of a known word, if they get enough people to agree with them on their meaning change the language they speak?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot I like to trash my comments immediately after I post them, huh? :)

    Ah yes, the arbitrary...I didn't even mention that in my blog, but it fits right into what I was saying about the paradoxical puns throughout this chapter; it's like: "real things are divided by arbitrary things." It makes sense, but it does sound a bit like a riddle.

    i love this that you wrote: "the signified and signifier have nothing in common with each other except that someone somewhere decided to join those two things together." I think this really sums a lot of this chapter up.

    I'm still not 100% latched onto this Semiotics thing. I feel like I'm reading theories from a bunch hippies who are doped up on LSD. I mean, sometimes it just seems like these things could be parred back some, or jst stated simplier... maybe.

    ReplyDelete