Friday, March 5, 2010

The Study of Signs (Intro)

This introduction was dense to say the least. I'm really hoping that the other chapters are more clear and to the point. There seems to be no easy explanation of semiotics. There are as many definitions as there are those who study semiotics. There are also countless signs to study, but all seem to agree that language is important. The hardest thing about language is it's constantly changing, also there are so many different languages.
To use semiotics as a theory of literature one must distinguish signs within the text. Finding meanings and things that represent something greater than what they seem to be is important when reading a text. Not mention it's fun finding hidden meanings that sometimes the author doesn't even realize are there.
Like I said before I'm hoping that with the next chapters everything will become clearer.

1 comment:

  1. I always make sure to not read your blogs before my own, that way I’m not influenced by your blogs during my readings and posts. Also, when we come together and comment on each other’s blogs we can have truly independent perspectives and then better collaborations, in theory anyway. So, the intro to Semiotics, after I read it and blogged, I was hoping to scroll over to your blog and get something that would help clear thing up for me. Not so much… But, I am glad to see that it’s not just me. Reading your blog assured me that I am not alone. And I know that if Ms. Fletcher the Slayer of PhD Giants is having trouble with something, then that can only mean one thing: Oh Shit!

    ReplyDelete