Tuesday, April 6, 2010

AHA!!!! (Ch5)

I get it! YES! I feel like I just took several steps forward with this whole Semiotics thing! I even enjoyed reading this chapter as well.
The part I enjoyed reading the most was the Social Codes part. I never thought about how codes actually help form our identity. There are so many codes that we learn how to follow at such a young age that we don't remember not following them. Even just the way we look at people, or don't look at them is learned. It just amazes me, although it does make sense.
The other part I thought was interesting is the part on invisible editing. There's a part that says "Having internalized such codes at a very young age we then cease to be conscious of their existence. Once we know the code, decoding it is almost automatic and the code retreats to invisibility." (167). I have a friend who is a teacher, and she was telling me a few weeks ago that school councilors are having a difficulty with this very thing. She was saying that there are some kids who have grown up with so much t.v. and video games that they cannot distinguish reality from them. If asked what they did, they would list both what they physically did, and what the character they were either controlling or watching did, but in first person and explaining it as though they had done the actions themselves. They can't tell the differences between the editing codes of audio-visual media and reality. So the question is how can someone (especially a child) be taught the differences between reality codes and t.v. codes when they cannot tell the differences between them. Maybe this isn't a job for councilors maybe it's a job for those who study semiotics.

No comments:

Post a Comment