Monday, April 5, 2010

Literally? (Ch 4)

I thought I was understanding things pretty good on the last chapter. I could tell mostly what they were saying, could come up with my own opinions, but this chapter I feel like I slid backwards.
I understand the first part about the four tropes and how sometimes signifiers stand for other signifieds. When reading this chapter again I have this awe for the human mind, and how at a young age we learn to understand and use all of the four tropes. Most people don't even know the name of these tropes and yet they understand and use them everyday. Honestly I couldn't have named them myself until I read them, metaphor and irony are pretty common knowledge, but metonymy and synecdoche are less commonly known.
The part I really didn't get was the denotation and connotation section. The definitions made sense, the idea that denotation deals with the lieteral and connotation deals with the social or personal side of things. What I don't understand is how these are used with semiotics. It felt like I was reading rammbling rather than a simple explanation. I got lost in the words in the end of the chapter, and am still confused with how to properly label things that are denotations and connotations.

No comments:

Post a Comment